Giving players the ability to kick away other cars with giant boots or disrupt their driving ability are too silly for standard competitive Rocket League play, That's serious business. Next month's newly-announced Rumble mode looks to be anything but.
Announced during the finale of the Rocket League Championship Series in Hollywood, California today, Rocket League Rumble is a free game that sets loose players in an arena packed with 11 ridiculous new power-ups.
- The Boot (Kick's an opponent's car)
- Disruptor (Forces the opponent to drive uncontrollably)
- Freezer (Freezes the ball in-place)
- Grappling Hook (Pulls you towards the ball)
- Haymaker (Punches the ball)
- Magnetizer (Attracts the ball to your car)
- Plunger (Grabs the ball via plunger and cord)
- Power Hitter (Hit everything harder)
- Spike (Attach the ball to your car when you bump into it)
- Swapper (Change positions on the field with your opponent)
- Tornado (Sweep up the ball and cars into a giant funnel cloud)
Boxing gloves, spikes, grappling hooks — this is all of the stuff I've been craving in Rocket League since I realised I couldn't win on skill alone. I look forward to my first victory via chaos next month. Plus it's only the beginning of a major update coming in September, so expect more sports driving goodness for everyone.