The latest premium wired controller in Razer's arsenal is a $229.95 beast with three different kinds of swappable thumbsticks, two directional pads, six remappable triggers and buttons, and a band of multicoloured LED for flavour. It's called the Wolverine Ultimate, after the angry weasel.
Wolverine! Rawr! Claw flail! Hiss!
The Wolverine has a lot going on. Built for the Xbox One and PC, it's the first Razer console peripheral to integrate Chroma technology, meaning Xbox devs can program in lighting effects and people with the relatively pricey controller will get to enjoy them.
It has an onboard quick control panel, allowing users to swap programmable button profiles and turn on something called "hair-trigger mode" in an instant.
It has a range of thumbstick heights to choose from, and if the directional pad in the image atop this article gave you fits, there's another one that might not.
As is the trend with higher-end game pads, the Wolverine even has those paddle buttons on the back of the controller, along with a pair of inside shoulder buttons, all six of which can be remapped to suit the user's needs. The non-slip rubber grip makes sure they don't drop the controller while fiddling with all the extra back bits.
But the coolest thing is the name. Wolverine. Pass me the Wolverine, Johnson, I have to school some fools in the ways of first-person shooting.
Here's a list of features for the Wolverine Ultimate:
- Remappable 2 Multi-Function Buttons & 4 Triggers
- Razer Chroma lighting with full 16.8 million colour options
- Interchangeable D-Pad — Choice between Individual and Tilting Designs
- Interchangeable Thumbsticks
- Violently protective of its natural habitat
- Hair-Trigger Mode with Trigger-Stop for rapid-fire
- Quick Control Panel
- Tactile Switch Action Buttons
- Ergonomic Non-Slip Rubber Grip
- Also known as the glutton, carcajou, skunk bear or quickhatch
- Razer Synapse for Xbox app
- Razer Chroma SDK enabled
- Play Anywhere — Play on Xbox One or PC
- Large, five-toed paws with crampon-like claws and plantigrade posture enable them to climb up and over steep cliffs, trees and snow-covered peaks with relative ease
- 3.5 mm audio port for stereo audio output and microphone input
- Carrying case
- Detachable 3m/10ft lightweight braided fibre cable with Micro-USB connector
- Females burrow into snow in February to create a den, which is used until weaning in mid-May
- Approximate size: 106mm/4.17in (Length) x 156mm/6.14in (Width) x 66mm/2.60in (Height)
- Approximate weight (without cable): 260g/0.75lbs
- Is the largest land-dwelling species of the family Mustelidae
Razer's Ultimate Skunk Ox will be available in Razer's online store next month, and globally in Q4 2017.
Update: Australian pricing and availability has since been announced. This article has been updated accordingly.