Grand Theft Auto games are all about attention to detail. A million little things come together to form the massive simulations we’ve come to know and love — and it’s fascinating to look at what, specifically, goes into defining a GTA space.
CrowbCat has a comparison video that pits GTA V against GTA IV, and in doing so, finds that the more modern game actually falls short in a lot of different, easy-to-miss ways:
A few things showcased in this video:
- The police in GTA IV aren’t automatically hostile to your mere existence.
- In GTA IV, you can get into more involved fistfights with NPCs. NPCs also have more tolerance, period.
- In GTA IV, NPCs react dynamically to where, specifically, they are shot. (If you want a more detailed look at the tech behind that, watch this.)
- The car physics are more realistic in GTA IV in terms of handling, and also in terms of how the cars crash.
- NPCs aren’t giant arseholes to you for no reason in GTA IV.
- You can shoot guns out of people’s hands in GTA IV — and, in general, knock things out of people’s hands.
- You can carjack by pointing a gun at someone in GTA IV more easily.
- You can pick up random junk in GTA IV and actually use it in some way — it’s not just decoration.
- People in GTA IV react to cars trying to run them over in more ways.
- You can climb things in GTA IV.
- The environment in GTA IV is more reactive to explosions, scratches and so on.
- The water physics are more detailed in GTA IV.
- Your character reacts to the weather in GTA IV.
- Cops stop crimes without actually murdering anyone in GTA IV.
- There are way more interiors in GTA IV.
Of course, it’s worth noting that GTA V probably has a number of its own innovations that trump GTA IV’s simulation, too — instead of focusing on the specific things shown in this video, GTA V fleshed other things out, instead. Still, it’s fascinating to look at all these smaller details and how they play out in their respective games anyway. If nobody had pointed some of this stuff out to me, I probably wouldn’t have noticed! Some of these changes were intentional, too — the driving/car handling in GTA IV in particular.
The Cheapest NBN 1000 Plans
Looking to bump up your internet connection and save a few bucks? Here are the cheapest plans available.