New Super Mario Maker additions mean new opportunities for Patrick Klepek to suffer, which is always a good time in my book.
Today, Nintendo announced plans to release a free new update for their devious level creator. It will be out on December 21, and it will allow players to fill their stages with secret doors that are only accessible when a P-switch is hit, among other new mechanics. It will also add bookmarks and world records.
Here's the full breakdown, from Nintendo:
- Fire Koopa Clown Car: This volcanic vessel is capable of shooting fireballs as well as a powerful charged shot that can even destroy Blocks. It's perfect for creating shoot-'em-up-style courses.
- P Warp Doors: Unlike regular Warp Doors, these are only visible while a P Switch is active — perfect for creating truly devious Ghost House courses.
- Bumper: This bouncy doughnut-shaped object sends Mario bounding away when touched.
- World Records: Now pages will display the World Record for each course uploaded, displaying the fastest clear time.
- Super Mario Maker Bookmark: Levels that players have bookmarked to play later using the Web portal will be accessible from the Course World tab.
Hopefully this is already giving Dan Ryckert all sorts of new ideas.