This Commodore 65 Just Sold For Almost $30,000 Australian

The Commodore 64 was one of the most popular computers ever built, particularly in Australia. But the Commodore 65? You might not have even heard of that one. But it existed, as a prototype, and now it has sold on eBay for almost $30,000 . Unreal.

The Commodore 65 — also known as the C64DX — is actually super rare. Because it was a prototype, and was never really released to the public, there are only so many out there in the wild. No-one actually knows how many — estimates range wildly between 50 and 2000. They were sold on the open market when Commodore went into liquidation in 1994.

Auctions for the Commodore 65 tend to do incredibly well. A fully-functioning unit was sold in 2009 for around $9000. One with missing parts was sold in 2013 for $26,000, which is, frankly, insane.

This current sale is for a fully functioning Commodore 65 that still works to this day. It has the serial number 22, which might be an indicator as to how few are out there, but also might not indicate anything. Either way, this is a super cool piece of video gaming history.


    "It has the serial number 22, which might be an indicator as to how few are out there, but also might not indicate anything."
    It means there is a 90% chance there are between 24 and 440, if I'm remembering my statistics right.
    The logic goes like this: Unless we have reason to believe that the object or number is special, then there is a 90% chance that the serial number 22 is not in the lowest 5% of serial numbers, nor in the upper 5%. This gives an upper cap of 440 and a lower cap of 23(.15789...). There is of course a 10% I'm wrong, but those are rather slim odds.

      I'd agree if it was a random, off the shelf, production model - but we already know the object is special. It's a prototype, implying there were few made.

        Yes, but there is nothing to say it is special within that group.

    I had a commodore 16

      Well... I had a Commodore 16 plus4 *rawr*

      Which was a Commodore 16 with 64k, that wasnt meant to play games, but was meant as a home office solution, that they couldnt sell the stock... so they rebranded them for games and dumped them on department stores for parents to buy cheap before telling parents... you should upgrade to a real computer like 64 cause all the cool kids had 64s.

    So how about some info on how the C65 differed from the C64?

Join the discussion!

Trending Stories Right Now