Here's something for Splatoon 2 players to be thankful for this week. The game's next big update drops on November 23, adding four battle stages, a new Salmon Run stage, four hairstyles, an increased level cap and fresh tunes.
Four new stages begin rolling out on November 24, starting with the MakoMart, a shopping centre that's sure to be filled with fun products to look at while you're waiting to respawn. Joining MakoMart later down the line are the brand-new Shellendorf Institute, along with Walleye Warehouse and Arowana Mall, both returning from the original Splatoon.
Overachieving squids will be pleased to learn that the level cap is raising from 50 to 99. Once a player hits 99 they can prestige back down to level 1, only now they will have a star next to their level to indicate they are very special. Getting there should be much easier, now that players won't have to exit the lobby between rounds to swap out gear.
What else: A new Salmon Run stage, always welcome. Two new bands making music to fight by. Amiibo now allow players to take photos on battle stages as well as in the main square, which is neat. But really it's all about the four new hairstyles, two for squid boys and two for squid girls.
All of this, plus a brand new game mode coming in mid-December called "Clam Blitz". From Nintendo's announcement:
In Clam Blitz, competing Inklings are tasked with collecting clams scattered around the stage. After one is picked up, the clam follows the player. The objective is to throw the clam into the basket near the opponent's base. The first team to score 100 points wins! But, of course, this being the fiercely competitive world of Splatoon 2, things are not as easy as they seem. The baskets are protected by a barrier, which much be destroyed first. After collecting 10 clams, the player will earn a Power Clam. These super-powered clams are the key to breaking the barrier, so strategy will definitely be involved in which clams are used to destroy the barrier and which are used to earn points. Not to mention the extra-satisfying opportunity to steal opponents' clams by splatting them…
Check out the trailer for the update below, and then browse the official update bullet points.
- Four New Battle Stages: While four new battle stages are coming to Splatoon 2, they won't all be available immediately after downloading the update. Like with previous additions, the stages will roll out over the subsequent weeks, giving players new surprises as they play throughout the holiday season and beyond. The first new battle stage, MakoMart, will be available to play on Black Friday, Nov. 24, with Shellendorf Institute, Walleye Warehouse and Arowana Mall coming soon. The new MakoMart stage is a giant superstore-style stage, so what better time to play than on Black Friday! Shellendorf Institute is new to the series, while Walleye Warehouse and Arowana Mall are popular stages returning from the original Splatoon game.
- New Salmon Run Stage: Fan-favourite multiplayer mode* Salmon Run is getting a new stage. After downloading the update, Salmonid Smokeyard will be added to the stage rotation. In Salmonid Smokeyard, a wide gap on the beach divides two upper platforms, with fan lifts being the quickest way to traverse the two platforms. Teamwork is required to use the fan lifts effectively.
- New Gear: Approximately 140 pieces of gear are being added to Splatoon 2. These include shoes, headgear and clothes, like a motocross mask, and additional winter clothing (perfect for the cold weather!), as well as returning items from the original Splatoon game.
- New Battle Music: Two new bands have been gaining popularity in Inkopolis! The punk-flavored Bottom Feeders and classically trained avant-garde-style Ink Theory are contributing new songs to the already music-rich game.
- New Hairstyle: When customising an Inkling, four new hairstyles will be available to choose from — two each for female and male characters.
- Higher Level Caps: Currently, players are maxed out at Level 50. After downloading the update, the new maximum level will be raised to 99. If players talk to Judd when they reach Level 99, they will have the option to reset their level display to Level ★1 so they can continue raising their level.
- New amiibo Functionality: Tapping a compatible amiibo figure after the update will let players take and share in-game photos in preset locations in Battle Stages, in addition to being able to take photos in Inkopolis Square. Players can also add fun filters to their images.
- Convenient Gear Swapping: Players that want to change gear between battles in Regular Battle, Ranked Battle and Splatfest Battle (Solo) won't have to exit to the lobby anymore! After downloading the update, gear can be swapped out without leaving the match room, making it quicker to get back to splatting. For Regular Battle, this also means players can play the next battle with the same players.