This is where Kotaku readers go to talk about the stuff we're not already posting about. Think of it as the official unofficial Kotaku community forum.

Note: this week's Talk Amongst Yourselves was a big confusing mess because I was off on Monday and Tuesday and we never started a new TAY! Sorry for the confusion. Won't happen again. This is a new TAY for the rest of the week. Normal service will resume this coming Monday.

Comments

Oh god, did they change daylight savings so you put the clock 4 days and 1 hour ahead?

Bahahahahahahriflsohediusangaizbrgskaxhehafaalndozsggegieh

No, but I hate day light saving time changes. Its all set up to change automatically phone and comp.

Edit: lack of sleep leads to lack od sense. Last 2 lines are seperatr statements only thing in common is day light savings bah don't worry about it.

Last edited 10/10/13 8:56 am

REPOST!

I know there's only about 4 people here who care but:

Nine Inch Nails/Queens of the Stone Age Australian Tour March 2014!

DEETS! http://tour.nin.com

A gig on a Monday, that's barbaric! Probably would sell out before I could make a decision anyway :P really tempted to go for QOTSA

New TAY on a Thursday. Right after a page get.

*sigh*

I'm still reading up on the THREE BLOODY PAGES that got posted since I looked yesterday arvo, so fear not, Beavwa. I'll read your page-get. I'll read it so hard.

Edit: Enh, PokeHype. Interesting factoid about EB price-matching Big W on your pre-order though. Normally I thought they were super-anal about calling up to make sure the cheaper store had stock, so they could give a shit-eating grin and apologize insincerely. (OK, that embellishment is my annoyed imagination.)

Last edited 10/10/13 9:16 am

RE: Edit

Depends on the store mostly. My old store is super generous in price matching to the point where they will price match for certain regular customers even if they don't bring it up.

Also why I went there yesterday to have a reasonable conversation ahead of launch day shenanigans about what they could and couldn't do. I like this store and would like to buy more from them.

I went in expecting to have the conversation about them not being able to match, and got a pleasant surprise. They said they took issue with the GTA V one recently because it was effectively a bait-and-switch by Target, the local one had all of 5 copies at release week. Much happier matching Big Dubya because they do this shit properly and will carry plenty of stock.

I think it depends on the game. With GTAV it was pretty bad though. My housemate who works for EB couldn’t price match unless Target had stock and her manager kept pretty close tabs on it. Even if Target were about to have stock delivered in 2 hours, they would tell the customer they would have to wait or pay their full price.

I have a stupid exam today. I just checked the results for the assignment (which I worked really hard on) and barely scraped a pass, which means I have to smash this exam despite not knowing the subject nearly as well as I think I do. /o\

What are you studying again?

I'm doing a Certificate IV in general insurance. This particular module is Insurance Products, which really should be quite easy. :/

I guess you could say my hype levels for a NIN/QotSA tour are somewhere around 999,999 and 1,000,000

Had to. I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry.

EDIT: Use the right tags dammit Cake!

Last edited 10/10/13 9:17 am

I don't get it.

... I also don't get it.

Anyone got a pie chart?

The opening tracks of "The slip".... Watch the you tube videos of 1,000,000 - the touch activated panels are cool...Pity the new music isn't...

For a live recording that is mixed so well, holy shit. Reminds me of the EP Slash did from one of those iTunes sessions, sounded so good.

I may have brought my 3DS to work today, even though my current commute handheld is the VITA, just incase Pokémon breaks street date.

I always bring my 3DS to work. Wouldn't want to miss out on those streetpasses.

What game are you playing on your Vita atm? Mines been dormant for a couple of months.

Muramasa, pretty great game. Beat the main story and trying to get the bonus endings.

Collect ALL the swords!

Hur dur dur I'm a author, what with my award-winning book 'The Walking Dead' 'The Lesser Evil,' winner of TWO nobel peace prize awards and a Rockbjörnen (Sweden's most popular music award!)

....

I literally cannot remember anything else about Shane at the moment. He plays Dark Souls, right? But I'm pretty sure everybody's played Dark Souls so that doesn't count.

ShaneIloveyoumandon'thurtmeIsweartogodIwillbuylike20copiesofyourbook

So all my friends are banging on about GTA V. Then they're banging on about Pokemon.
    I honestly didn't think there would be that much of a cross-over between the brands.
    Also, scary fact...I'm getting old. I yelled at a first year uni student today for parking wonkily beside me.

Both released around 1997.
      Both releasing 7th main installment this year.

... That's all I got this time of morning.

7 + 7 = 14
        1-4 = 3
        HEY GUYS HALF LIFE oh screw it this is getting old.

Edit: Me no numbers. Numbers no good.

Last edited 10/10/13 10:23 am

Actually that is -3
          Which is a negative to HL3 being released

We're all getting old its just some people don't grow up. Just, don't grow up too fast.

Last edited 10/10/13 10:33 am

Erg. Beyond: Two Souls has already enraged me and I haven't even opened the case yet.

Fancy steel book with a real nice cover on it. All well and good but the spine is blank. No title, no logo, nothing but the PS3 brand up the top. Why? God of War:Ascension did the same thing. Who the hell displays their entire collection face out?

Right? It's such a nice looking case too. Just ruined by not having the name on the side.

Drakengard 3 is getting localized after all.

Also Tales of Hearts R got ported to iOS in Japan. Namco is turning into Squenix :(

Oh hey, it's a TAY that's actually from this month :P

For once I'm hoping the air con goes into overdrive. This helmet + scarf combo is pretty toasty.

(oh yeah, it's Silly Hat Day today. Apparently my friend was the only one of all the first years who took part yesterday, stupid lamers. Nearly our whole group today has shown up with something for it)

How about that TAYlist, time for your requests!

Mardy Bum -- Arctic Monkeys

(Haha! Me and a friend totally sang this loudly while walking through London a few years back. Good times. XD)

Last edited 10/10/13 9:48 am

Fluorescent Adolescent -- Arctic Monkeys is good too. XD

Agreed.

I know I told you last night but
      Don't stop me - Queen

Cars - Gary Numan

One of my favourite SF Authors, Sean Williams, wrote a trilogy where one of the characters speaks only in Gary Numan lyrics

The Killing Moon - Echo and the Bunnymen

To stick with the 80s New Wave vibe we have going

Space Age Love Song- A Flock of Seagulls

The Batman Theme - Danny Elfman

No, ok.

Epic - Faith No More

The Song Remains the Same - Led Zeppelin?

Obscure request :
      Caveman - God God Dammit Dammit

Serious request :
      Sleazy Bed Track - The Bluetones.

I know we don't have that song, I've got it on my iPod so I'll see if i can do that.

Slipknot! I dunno what song though.. Anything is good, but if it's available Snuff, Vermillion or Duality.

or alternatively Video Killed The Radio Star - The Buggles

Last edited 10/10/13 10:26 am

Superstition - Stevie Wonder

Tragic Symphony - Hanson

Thanks everyone, for the requests. I'll try to play as many as I can.

Anyone else think it's slightly hypocritical that some game journos are harping on about Beyond: Two Souls' faults while they were most likely the same people who praised the ever-loving crap out of The Walking Dead despite the two games being mechanically very similar?

Have you played Beyond: Two Souls though? Because it certainly has some faults. I mean, I'm enjoying it thoroughly, but it deserves the criticism.

Oh I know it's more of an interactive movie than a game and the plot is definitely not for everyone (it is David Cage after all). I guess it's being reviewed differently because it's a David Cage game through and through while TWD was something a little bit different from Telltale.

At least it ain't no Jurassic Park.

Don't be messing with JP, I really liked that game

I enjoyed it for what it was but there was no denying it was exceptionally corny and pretty bland compared to the other Telltale stuff.

It's part of the JP universe, of course it was corny

It's funny because your name sounds like it has Booty at the start now.

For me, the reviews I've read don't criticize the gameplay but rather the plot, which is the correct thing to do since the two games are more of playable movies than anything else. (Personally, I'm not digging Beyond- the plot's kinda.. well, it warrants a whole other discussion.)

But if they're harping about the games not being traditional video games, well, Heavy Rain's been out for a while, no?

Last edited 10/10/13 9:59 am

Yeah I guess the reviews I've been reading make it seem like they were expecting a non-David Cage game. I mean, Fahrenheit was amazing back in the day but it was completely bonkers from a story standpoint. BTD is slightly less bonkers (so far at least, I haven't quite finished it) but still true David Cage material.

It's fashionable to love that Walking Dead game, and fashionable to hate on David Cage and his games. Simple as that. On the internet opinions become like snowballs. Enough people having the same opinion will then roll around and pick up stragglers who didn't originally intend to have that opinion.

Jim Sterling actually nails why those two games are different,

For all the complaints that can be leveled at Beyond -- and they can be leveled in feckless abundance -- the overwhelming problem with it is that it's just plain boring. Like a sociopath, Beyond: Two Souls knows how to act like it has a heart, while providing nothing of the emotional depth required to connect with an audience.

The Walking Dead has heart.

I'm going to have to politely disagree on that point. I actually found myself really involved in the story of Beyond (maybe not to the same extent as TWD but still quite a bit).

Different horses for different courses and all that.

I feel the opposite. Beyond had me engaged with the story and characters right from the start. The Walking Dead did not. I played most of the first one and didn't really care about anything and was definitely not immersed or engaged enough to want to get the rest of the series.

I also felt like Walking Dead was trying too hard to manufacture "feels" which is kind of what was making me unfeel. It wasn't natural.

Still made me tear up.

Oh man I had tears rolling down my cheeks. Lost a few man cards that day.

Also, Walking Dead was around 4-5x cheaper. And APPEARS to let you make more meaningful/high impact decisions. I say 'appears' because I haven't completely spoiled Beyond for myself yet.

@beavwa BeavwAAAAAAAAARGH! REAL MONSTERS!

Last edited 10/10/13 9:49 am

Could even drop the TV show reference and it works. I like it.

You're too good at this!

It's fun :)

Maybe you could come up with something for me!
          I'm not particularly pleased with mine, I feel like I could have been more clever... and failed.

(Edit: And as all great men know, if you can't be clever yourself, find someone who is and steal their stuff.)

Last edited 10/10/13 10:37 am

Transient Mindflayer.

Mm. That is decent! I did actually think of it but ruled it out as it seemed less undeadly halloweenish, more d&d.

if they weren't a whole-cloth D&D thing, I'd love to see a proper Mindflayer horror movie.

PENNY ARCADE IS ALWAYS RELEVANT: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/6/22

So I really enjoyed Beyond:Two Souls last night. I was pretty much hooked straight away and now I can't stop thinking about it. This is a good sign, for me. Anyone who wasn't a fan of Heavy Rain should probably stay right away, though.

This post is totally relevant to Beyond: Two Souls too. I love @sughly's response to my fanboy enthusiasm. XD

I'm glad to hear people are enjoying it despite all the reviews. Was gonna buy it yesterday but couldn't find the special edition anywhere and realised I don't really have the time to play it right now, anyway, so sadface. D:

I'm tempted to head down to JB/EB after work today to grab it. Ugh, but no time! But games!

Who'd post lyrics any way? Geeeez! :P

Last edited 10/10/13 10:05 am

Every time someone posts lyrics online - something, somewhere good and wholesome dies.

I swear someone needs to remove your ability to edit posts.

I swear someone needs to remove the chip on the shoulder you always seem to have!

Not cool, DeeCee. Objections to lyric posting and editing after people have already commented on stuff are valid. Both are annoying.

Well Cody being an abrasive jerk is somewhat annoying too. I suggest he doesn't read my posts if he doesn't like it and I'll happily do the same.

He wasn't being an abrasive jerk this time though. I think maybe if those words had been from someone else you wouldn't have had such a kneejerk reaction, Read them again and imagine they're being said by someone you're comfortable with and have met in real life. Not that bad after all.

You probably need to back off Beyond a bit there dude. You're feeling too many emotions.

:P

Finally finished “Orange is the New Black” last night. Final episode was EPIC! Anyone else here watch it?

I love this Arcade Fire song. So good.

Last edited 10/10/13 10:04 am

Arghh! Once was enough, but twice?! Just because you don't have Facebook doesn't mean you should inflict your song lyrics on TAY. :P

Edit: Goddamn lyric-posting, post-editing menace!

Last edited 10/10/13 10:07 am

You saw nothing! :P Don't make me strum my guitar!

Last edited 10/10/13 10:07 am

I can't think of a Halloween name. Werewolf seems too obvious. I was thinking Dire Wolf Creek, but I've never seen the movie, and if people don't get the reference the name looks silly on its own.

Dire Wolf Creek: The Musical!

Recently finished it's Melbourne run, back at the Adelaide Fringe next year!

Only reason I'm not playing Beyond: Two Souls right now is I love it so much and don't want it to end. D:

I get that way whenever I approach the end of a game. I just don't want the experience to end, so I try and draw it out. I do it with books too. And TV shows.

This might be why I have SO MANY games unfinished, usually just up to the nearly-last chapter.

Wait, you have already almost finished it?

Doubt it, but I don't want to take that chance! XD

I say go with your gut and never playing Beyond: Two Souls again just to be safe, you should play Wind Waker instead. ;)

Only reason I'm not is because I have 4yo hanging around.
      Also, I'm cross that it's my wedding anniversary today. That means I'll have to do something together with my husband tonight instead of playing Beyond:Two Souls. :P

Play Beyond: Two Souls together! I imagine that's what couples do, right? :D

Hell no! Whenever we play anything but co-operative music games together we end up on the brink of divorce. We have completely different playstyles and priorites.

I know the sweetest girl who turns into a serious domestic violence case whenever her husband plays video games with her. Doesn't matter what. Co-op? He's always shooting her guys or stealing her powerups. Competitive? That gets nasty. (Admittedly they play Mario Kart. That way lies madness second only to Monopoly.)

Vicious arm-punches for DAYS afterward.

He can watch you play Beyond, best anniversary ever!

I had an interesting conversation with a friend on the way to work this morning and it seemed like a good discussion topic.

Song Covers Better Than The Original*
    *in your opinion

Go Radio - Rolling in the Deep (Originally by Adele)

EDIT: And for funsies, worst cover you've heard

Last edited 10/10/13 10:17 am

I prefer Jennifer Saunders version of Holding Out For A Hero over the original version.

Also, Alestorm - You Are A Pirate.

All Along The Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix. (Dylan cover obviously)

I like a bunch of the Guitar Hero covers to the originals. Particularly Holiday in Cambodia. Kinda feel that the series was worse off in a way when they started getting only "legit" versions. The absolute worst was when they kept putting in live versions of stuff, ugh.

Worst cover? Just look to Glee*.

Best cover? I'll get back to you.

EDIT: Actually I've been really enjoying San Cisco's cover of Daft Punk's Get Lucky...

*Don't. You'll die.

Last edited 10/10/13 10:33 am

Turn The Page - Metallica (original by Bob Seger)

Edit: I have quite a list of covers I enjoy;
      You Spin Me Round, People Are People, Fuck Tha Police, Rebel Yell by Dope.
      Anarchy In The U.K, Helter Skelter, Street Fighting Man, Smokin' In The Boys Room by Mötley Crüe
      White Wedding by The Murderdolls
      T.N.T. by Anthrax
      Communication Breakdown by Slash with Myles Kennedy
      Knocking On Heavens Door by Guns N' Roses
      Sharp Dressed Man by Nickelback (this one blew my mind, I had no idea they could play live so well)
      Cum On Feel The Noize - Quiet Riot
      Wild Horses & Wicked Game - Stone Sour
      The Saints Are Coming - U2 & Green Day
      Tattoo's & Tequila (the album which is made up of cover songs) by Vince Neil
      I Am A Cider Drinking - Alestorm (such an awesome song, they also covered In The Navy which I am yet to hear)
      Oops I Did It Again - Children of Bodom
      Get Lucky - Halestorm (yes they covered Daft Punk)
      Women In Uniform - Iron Maiden (this one shocked me since I didn't realise The Skyhooks were that well known)
      Inner City Blues - The Mayfield Four

Last edited 10/10/13 10:35 am

Also covered by Metallica - I really enjoy their version of Whisky in the Jar. Think it was Thin Lizzy who did it originally?

Yeah, their cover of Whiskey In The Jar was awesome. Yeah Thin Lizzy originally recorded it.

Also on the topic of Metallica covers I also like;

Overkill, Damage Case, Too Late Too Late (all originally by Motorhead)
          Tuesday's Gone (originally by Lynyrd Skynyrd)
          Sabbra Cadabra (originally by Black Sabbath)
          Die, Die My Darling (originally by The Misfits)
          So What (originally by The Anti-Nowhere League)
          Breadfan (originally by Budgie)
          Am I Evil? (Oringllay by Diamondhead)
          Astronomy (Originally by Blue Oyster Cult)
          Stone Cold Crazy (originally by Queen)
          Mercyful Fate (originally by Mercyful Fate)

They take songs and make them Metallica like. It's one time it just works which is pretty cool.

Their cover of Astronomy is awesome, probably better than the original (but not as good as BOC's re-imagining of the piece from Imaginos)

Agreed, I do find it better than the original. I haven't heard their reworked version though. Off I go to find it.

Imaginos is hard to find legit, it's been out of print since the early 90s. :(

EDIT: Actually it looks like it might have gotten a remastered release last year. Will have to investigate this.

Last edited 10/10/13 1:57 pm

Videogames - Bluejuice

a good cover version is one where the covering band takes a track & makes it their own
      eg Hurt - Johnny Cash & All Along the watchtower - Jimmi Hendrix

a bad cover is one where the covering band just plays the original track as it was written & doesnt add anything to it.
      eg: anything Amanda Palmer covers

Favourite cover versions
      Dekalb Blues - The Drones (originally by Leadbelly)
      Take up thy stethoscope & walk - At The Drive In (originally Pink Floyd)

Then there's the covers that are a mixture of the 2 and just fail.

Example:
        Linkin Park - Wish
        Nine Inch Nails - Wish

Wow, NIN is a popular band to cover...

They sure are. Team Cybergeist have a cover of Head Like A Hole on their upcoming EP, they previously did The Hand That Feeds (I think) I know Angel did a remix of it, but I don't own that release =/

Have a Cigar - Foo Fighters featuring Brian May.

This gets asked so often on Reddit that I think people just automatically say Hurt.

American IV: The Man Comes Around, the album the cover is from, is fucking amazing. Almost all of the covers are great and interesting takes. Personal Jesus is pretty amazing, especially because Marilyn Manson already did a great cover of it (original was Depeche Mode, kids).

I'm also a fan of Regina Spektor's cover of Real Love. Actually, Triple J's Like a Version segment tends to get a few of these.

On the topic of Manson, I think he has done some great covers, just people automatically hate them because it's Manson..

Most of his covers are better than his originals.

TAY, I am disappoint. No mention of the fantastic White Stripes version of Jolene.

@trjn Like a Version is awesome. Really liked Owl Eyes' Pumped up kicks

I asked this on twitter, but it probably encourages a greater depth of discussion than 140 characters:

What is the Godfather Part II, or Empire Strikes Back, of videogames?

Both films are examples of sequels that surpass their predecessors. Have we had a videogame sequel that does that? It seems to me that just about any game that's had a "2" slapped on the end is usually more of cash grab.

I stand by my Twitter reply:

Mass Effect 2

It is known.

Crash Bandicoot 2! And then Crash Bandicoot 3, again!

I know there's a few - I just can't think off the top of my head. Although you are correct, they're extremely few in number. Will repost if I can think of them.

Baldur's Gate 2

I assume your criteria here is "surpasses the original by a fuckton and is the sequel and not the third or so on entry in a series." And, well, there's a fair amount, actually. Borderlands 2, Diablo 2, Pokemon Gold/Silver, Uncharted 2 (Debatable, but meh,) Galaxy 2 (also debatable,) Megaman 2, maybe?

*shrugs*

I'm not saying these are definites, but definitely contenders- Dota 2, TF2, Half-life 2, Assassin's Creed 2 (All downhill from there, unfortunately,) God of War 2, Halo 2, god I can't believe I forgot Halo 2, Fallout 2?

Honestly the question shouldn't be "Are there good number 2 sequels to video games" but rather "which is the best number 2 sequel to a video game."

Last edited 10/10/13 10:27 am

inFamous 2, Killzone 2, Batman: Arkham City, The Witcher 2. The list goes on and on.

Unlike films, I think video game sequels often tend to be better than the originals.

Killzone 2 was brilliant.

Personally (very personal opinion, I know a lot of people disagree with me on this) I feel Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 was better than the original. The characters are stronger, the story is less goofy, and there are not any lame twists or anything like that.

there are not any lame twists or anything like that.

It also doesn't have an ending. =P

I really need to replay KotOR2 with the ending mod.

I played through and finished the first one earlier this year, yet to start the second one though.

I own KotOR 3 times.

PC boxed copy
              Steam copy
              iPad copy

I got the iPad copy to play on the plane/hotel room during PAX. Ended up playing XCOM instead haha.

I own XCOM three times. :P Across multiple platforms, which is different to Diablo 2, which I ALSO own three times, but only because I kept losing/damaging discs.

...Life really is better with digital media over disc-based media. Downloading things from my steam library is MUCH better than hunting down a CD and hoping it still has the CD key somewhere in close proximity or downloading a crack from the net.

Oh transient, you fool. 'Downloading from the net'. As opposed to downloading from where else? BBoards? Usenet? University mainframe? Underground pirate FTP server? You ancient relic, you.

Age of Empires 2.

I was gonna say this, but I held out hoping someone sane would mention it before me. Tada!

Well, Sane is a stretch, but thankyou!