Let's Drop Our Top 10 Games Of 2014

We've already done our Kotaku Awards for 2014, but I thought it might be fun to spend some time making our own personal top 10 lists. I feel as though declaring an overall winner makes us neglect games that are in the conversation, but might not be the game of the year. So here is my own personal top 10. Would love to read yours.

1. Alien: Isolation 2. Mario Kart 8 3. PT 4. Dark Souls II 5. Framed 6. Destiny 7. Nidhogg 8. Desert Golfing 9. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze 10. Crossy Road

This was trickier than I thought. At first I legitimately thought I'd find it difficult to get to 10. Then I started to remember different games, which sent my brain firing in different directions.

A number of games were close but not quite. Games like Super Smash Bros. on 3DS, games like OlliOlli, the afore-mentioned Trials Fusion.

Maybe 2014 wasn't such a terrible year for games after all. What's your top 10?

Comments

1. Shovel Knight
    2. Shovel Knight
    3. Shovel Knight
    4. Shovel Knight
    5. Shovel Knight
    6. Shovel Knight
    7. Shovel Knight
    8. Shovel Knight
    9. Shovel Knight
    10. Shovel Knight

Honourable Mention: Shovel Knight

Last edited 17/12/14 2:04 pm

Mark is obviously trolling us, everybody knows Shovel Knight is most deserving of 1st place.

I did not enjoy Shovel Knight. You may down vote me.

I want to downvote, because Shovel Knight was awesome, but upvote you for the comment

I'd much rather hold on to mine. ;)

(Get it? Drop? Never mind...)

Last edited 17/12/14 2:09 pm

Nidhogg would definitely be up in the top three. The times I could play that with my brother locally were so damn hilarious and frustrating.

It's trippy as fuck, the soundtrack is awesome too.

I'm not sure I even played 10 games of 2014, I certainly played none on Mark's list.

1. Far Cry 4
    2. Shadow of Mordor
    3. South Park Stick Of Truth
    4. Trials Fusion
    5. Wolfenstein
    6. Watch Dogs

Pretty sure that's all I played of this years crop.

I'm out of this one as I also haven't played 10 games. I swear, I've played more new board games than video games this year.

Lets see... (in no particular order)

Destiny
      Far Cry 4
      Wolfenstein
      Diablo Expansion
      A handful of indies (can't remember their names right now)

vs

Resistance: Avalon
      Ladies & Gentlemen
      Once Upon a Time
      Love Letter
      Mascarade

Fair enough they may not have been released this year, but I'm finding myself more excited by those games than the video games.

Upvote for having a board game list :D I didn't play many new ones this year but I've still had a fun time anyway.

Haven't played any Nintendo games recently. Soo:

10. Watch_Dogs
    Was fun but unfortunately was expecting more. Nice 1-time playthrough
    9. Fable Anniversary.
    Nostalgia. And nostalgia that went pretty at that!
    8. Infamous: Second Son
    Was really fun. But the fun couldn't last long in a second play-through for my attention span. Running around in neon form and zapping people with laz0rs got boring rather fast, to my surprise.
    7. Age of Wonders III
    That was great. So great. Ended up getting laggy in late game but it was ridiculously fun. Will play again.
    6. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
    Great fun on PC. Great fun on PS4. Only regret is not buying more controllers for PS4.
    5. Terraria
    Very fun and cool to play with a couple of friends.
    4. Destiny
    Still enjoying it, playing it mostly everyday with PvP & PvE
    3. Shadow Of Mordor
    Amazing. Hands down.
    2. Dragon Age Inquisition
    So. Much. Fun. Going to give it some time before 2nd playthrough.
    1. GTA V
    So much fun with friends. Hilarious fun.

1. The Last of Us Remastered
    Hands down one of the best games I have ever played.
    2. The Wolf Among Us
    Great story and characters, kept me captivated from beginning to end
    3. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
    Lot of fun, standard MMO that gets it right
    4. Destiny
    Was extremely fun until one day I just didn’t feel like it anymore
    5. Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition
    Lot of fun, that feeling of "One more dungeon" at 4am
    6. Child of Light
    Beautiful game, got a bit repetitive towards the end
    7. inFAMOUS Second Son
    Fun while it lasted, needed a bit more life to the world
    8. Metro Redux
    Great game, taking the stealth route was hella fun
    9. Don’t Starve: Console Edition
    Addictive little roguelike
    10. Watch_Dogs
    Bah! Only put it here cause I couldn’t think of any more

Honourable mentions

Game of Thrones
    Not really a finished game so doesn’t count, but great fun and intense story
    PT
    Same as GoT, this demo scared the hell out of me, way better than Watch_dogs

Really upsets me to have to put Watch_dogs on the list, I really thought it was mediocre at best. Didn’t include FC4 or DA:I as own both but havent had time to play them.

Last edited 17/12/14 2:28 pm

1. Hearthstone (soooooo many hours put into this)
    2. GTAV Remastered (missed it the first time, my god it's good)
    3. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (can't.....stop......playing)
    4. The Wolf Among Us (did not actually enjoy The Walking Dead, but thoroughly enjoyed this)
    5. Nidhogg (scoot scoot, lunge, scoot, 'have at you!' *kills opponent* SQUEEEE *sprints*)
    6. Threes (how can this be so enjoyable... It's just bloody numbers!)

Ummm... Writing this list made me realise I purchased so few games this year! I'm actually amazed I hardly purchased any new release titles. It really was the year for the pile of shame... So I'm gonna complete my list with the pile of shame games.

7. Battlefield 4 (have only played it since network issues have been resolved and it's ace)
    8. Rogue Legacy (can't....stop....playing)
    9. Chivalry (admittedly continuing on from last year, still hilarious screaming stabby fun)
    10. Spec Ops: The Line (shows military shooters they can potentially be thoughtful)

Last edited 17/12/14 2:20 pm

8. Rogue Legacy (can't....stop....playing)
      I'm in NG++ and it's so bloody hard. Not getting into the remix bosses, too hard for my (lack of) skill

Last edited 17/12/14 2:53 pm

I've had it for over a year and still boot it up frequently.

1. Wasteland 2
    2. Divinity:Original sin
    3. Battlefield 4
    4. Hearthstone
    5. Etrian Odessey 4
    6. Persona 4 Golden
    7. Wolfenstein: New Order
    8. Shadowrun: Dragonfall
    9. Gauntlet
    10. Broforce

Yes I know some of these games aren't 2014. Too bad, my backlog is longer than my estimated working age till retirement.

Oh man this is a tough one, I am listing in order of games I enjoyed the most (so totally subjective)

1. Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)
    2. South Park: The Stick of Truth (PS3)
    3. Dark Souls II (PS3)
    4. Shadow Warrior (PS4)
    5. Shovel Knight (3DS)
    6. Far Cry 4 (PS4)
    7. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
    8. Super Smash Bros (Wii U)
    9. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Wii U)
    10. Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)

Honourable mention to The Evil Within as I have not yet completed it, but it's up there. 2015 is going to make 2014 look like a total pile of garbage in terms of releases and I think choosing a GOTY next year is going to be extremely difficult.

Watch Dogs is probably the worst game I played this year, it was just so bland, and it's very hard to sympathize with an unshaven white middle aged soccer dad.

Last edited 17/12/14 2:22 pm

I was more disappointed in the lack of reflections than character... :P Agreed though.

hahaha! that was also very upsetting.

I was actually surprised by how many people enjoyed watch dogs. For me, sometimes the worst game is just the most derivative and that was definitely watch dogs. Playing it felt like washing the dishes.

1. Alien Isolation

-Elite: Dangerous
    -Smash 3DS
    -Smash Wii U

Default :P

What's DKC like??

Awesome.

People went on about how great DKCR was but I don't think I really "got" it like they did. I mean I enjoyed it and all, but I don't remember being as amazed with it as I do with this one. Retro did a great job.

Excellence. It's like excellence.

my list looks something like this, but the order could easily be changed in the top 7
    1) Shadows of Mordor
    2) Skyrim
    3) Mario Kart 8
    4) Pay Day 2
    5) Fire Emblem Awakening
    6) Broforce / Expendabros
    7) Mashed Multiplayer (steam release)
    8) Assassins Creed 3
    9) Pokemon Omega Ruby
    10) Fifa 2015

Don't know about my top 10,

All I know is that Wolfenstein would be right near the top.

Let's see if I can even remember 10...

1. Dragon Age: Inquisition
    2. Diablo 3
    3. GTA V
    4. Infamous: Second Son
    5. Far Cry 4
    6. Destiny

That's about all I come up with at the moment.

As somebody that doesn't play many games, I am just going with a single GoTY:

Hearthstone

It's a really great game, and it doesn't bug you to spend money. The Arena option means that even people who don't have the best card collection have a mode that lets them access all of the cards.

I can't believe I left Hearthstone out, I've changed my list because of your reminder! :p

I'll no doubt forget something but I would probably say

1. Dragon Age: Inquisition
    2. Alien: Isolation
    3. Sunset Overdrive
    4. Evil Within
    5. Mario Kart 8
    6. Pokemon ORAS
    7. Wasteland 2
    8. Titanfall
    9. Tomodachi life
    10. Don Bradmans cricket 2014 after patches

I'm probably forgetting other titles from earlier this year I enjoyed though. Shadow of Mordor would be on my list somewhere but I am only a few hours in so have left it off. Right now I'd probably have it in number 5 or 6. I also haven't played far cry 4 yet.

Last edited 17/12/14 2:36 pm

1. Destiny: I know there is a lot of controversy around this game, normally I'm not one too play a game that requires so much grinding but I just can't help myself. Massive playtime and the fact I'm on holiday and wishing I could fly home and play means this gets number 1 spot for mine.
    2. Europa Universalis IV: Magnificent strategy game that combines my love of history and the fantasy of taking over Eastern Europe as Byzantium. 10/10 would play again.
    3. Walking Dead Season 1+2: Again another style of game I don't normally plump for, but now I'm hanging out for the next instalment in the series. S
    4. Hearthstone: I played Hearthstone thinking I'd try out a new card game for an hour of 2. 200 matches later I still love this game, so very very good.
    5. Super Smash Bro's Wii U: Love me some SSMB and this is no different, 8 man smash ftw.
    6. Alien Isolation: Really loved the first hour I've had with it, my addiction to Destiny has meant I've not played this game as much as it deserves.
    7. Madden 15: I really got into NFL this year and this game let me keep the rage going.
    8. Darkwood: Another concept game where you try and survive in the woods, and not die by night fall. Unforgiving game but fun nonetheless, glad it made Steam Greenlight.
    9. GTAIV: Played the full game and whilst I loved San Andreas and Vice city, I've not liked the series as much since the new instalments. Really liked exploring Trevor's character though.
    10. Super Mario Bro's Wii U: A game my girlfriend likes playing with me has to make the list! \o/

Last edited 17/12/14 2:35 pm

I went through the list of 2014 titles on wikipedia and I didn't even buy 10 new releases this year

1) Mario Kart 8
    2) Infamous: Second Son
    3) Dark Souls II
    4) Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
    5) Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham
    6) Infamous: First Light
    7) Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate
    8) Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition

My top games I played this year (in no particular order):
    * Dark Souls II
    * Witch and the Hundred Knight
    * Etrian Odysey Untold
    * Drakengard 3 (Still trying to get past the final "fight")
    * Borderlands The Pre-Sequel

5. AC unity
    6. Titanfall
    7. Infamous Second Son
    8. COD Advance Warfare
    9. Evil Within
    10. Destiny

Wow, I can't believe I left Titanfall out of mine. I loved it at the time, I wish I had the desire to go back and play it now :(

Me too. I completely forgot it and had to edit my list to add it in. I really enjoyed it but got bored with it too soon (especially after how many hours I put in to the beta!)

1. DA INQUISITION
    2. Shin Megami Tensei IV

Jeeez it's like you don't even play RPGs :P

Errr Evil Within

4. Abe's Oddyssey New & Tasty

10. Watchdogs
    9. Infamous SS
    8. FIFA 15
    7. Game of Thrones Ep 1 (so far)
    6. MLB The Show (I know)
    5. Wolfenstein
    4. Diablo III PS4
    3. South Park TSOT (Man I loved that game)
    2. Destiny
    1. GTA V PS4 - (Easily #1, so much damn fun. And it is SO good. Credit Rockstar for the attention to detail.)

Honorable mention to Alien: Isolation as I'm one of those type of players that can't play these type of games but I watched heaps of it on the line and it looked amazeballs. Far Cry 4 and Dragon Age are upcoming Festivus gifts.

Top 10 Games That I Actually Played This Year:

1. Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii anniversary edition w/ SNES controller wiimote extension)
    2. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (3DS and Wii U)
    3. Pokémon Y (3DS)
    4. Super Smash Bros. (Wii U)
    5. Minecraft (PC)
    6. Dark Souls 2 (PS3)
    7. Fantasy Life (3DS)
    8. Pokémon Omega Ruby (3DS)
    9. The Stanley Parable (PC)
    10. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PC)

Honourable Mentions that I haven't played enough of yet:
    Tales of Symphonia Chronicles (PS3)
    Hyrule Warriors (Wii U)
    Bayonetta (Wii U)
    Far Cry 3 (PC)
    Transistor (PC)

I only have five I really liked this year, I think. Everything else I loved either came out last year, and I only just played it, or was ported this year.

1. Valiant Hearts: The Great War
    2. Far Cry 4
    3. Infamous Second Son
    4. Mario Kart 8
    5. Wolfenstein

There would PROBABLY also be the inclusion of Costume Quest 2, if SonyEULA didn't clearly want to stop me from playing it. Yeah, I'm still bruising over that.