Sony finally dips its toes into the virtual reality waters this week, with people picking up their first round of pre-orders.
I've already had a few things to say on the topic, but I want to pivot the conversation slightly to games. What exactly do you want to play on PlayStation VR?
A fun experiment I've been running over the past couple of days is to play normal games in VR. I ran my mother through a mission of Destiny the other night; I've played a few rounds of NBA 2K17 to see how it fared, and I've watched a bit of Netflix and some of the PlayStation movies just to see how it all held up.
Now that's all well and good. But what would you actually want to play on PSVR in the proper VR environment?
Here's some thoughts:
- The Witness: add Move controllers to this or ignore them entirely. Doesn't matter. Something like this would be perfect.
- The Talos Principle: Much for the same reasons. And given that Croteam is already working on VR for Serious Sam, you'd imagine it wouldn't be too technically challenging.
- Windjammers: This will never, never happen. But a first-person, reimagined Windjammers in VR. The movement could be an issue, but I'd give it a go nonetheless.
- Star Wars Pod Racer: Don't deny it, you'd play this too.
- Wipeout HD: Maybe I'd be the only one keen on this. It does sound a little vomit inducing.
Other stuff that comes to mind, but I absolutely would not want to play, is all the indie horror stuff. Resident Evil, games like Outlast, SOMA, Amnesia would be great when immersed. Even something like Until Dawn would be really neat just for the added atmosphere of the headphones and the way your vision of the outside world is completely shut off.
So. PSVR. What games would you actually like to play on Sony's crack at virtual reality?