So today is obviously Melbourne Cup day, which means people are going to take time out to have a drink, crap food and all the rest of it.
Our office in particular, like many others, is going to have a bit of a BBQ. And that got me thinking: what exactly do you like to have on a BBQ?
I got sort of forced into doing Cubs and Scouts as a kid. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, and it also resulted in spending a lot more time around a BBQ than some kids have these days.
Weirdly, I always liked Sara Lee apple pies done on the BBQ. Yes, it's a thing you can do. From memory you need the alfoil trays, or that frozen pastry gets burnt fast.
But there are always the classics which never fail to please:
- Grilled veggie skewers: great for vegetarians and a bit of char always goes down well.
- Caramelised onion on the BBQ: never, ever fails.
- Thick sausages from Coles/Woolworths: the authentic Australian experience.
- BBQ minute steaks: for that quick and dirty sausage sanga in public.
- BBQ octopus: if you're lucky enough to have someone who can do it right, this is amazing.
I was never a huge fan of the grilled prawns - or prawns in general, really. Dry rubbed steaks on the BBQ were always great too.
What do you like eating and cooking on the BBQ?