“We have never encountered such a low total number of great games in a single year,” Metacritic stated on a post detailing the best games of 2012. This post also included the worst reviewed games in 2012 — which, frankly, is the more interesting list to me. Let’s take a look.
Here are the results: rank, game, publisher, and score, in that order.
209. Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse | Activision | 39
210. Battleship | Activision | 38
211. Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor | Capcom | 38
212. The Expendables 2 Videogame | Ubisoft | 32
213. AMY | Lexis Numerique | 25
No Activision games in the top 30, two Activision games in the worst of. Insert your gripes with Activision and the industry dying (again) here.
The Xbox 360 also wins the honour of having the lowest scored game out of all of the platforms, with Amy scoring a 25.
173. 007 Legends | Activision | 41
174. Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock | BBC Worldwide | 39
175. The Expendables 2 Videogame |Ubisoft | 34
176. AMY | Lexis Numerique | 33
177. Smash ‘N’ Survive | Version2Games Limited | 31
PS3 gamers know what’s up, given that the horrid 007 Legends is included. God, that game was awful.
25. SiNG Party | Nintendo | 58
26. Rabbids Land | Ubisoft | 53
27. Funky Barn | 505 Games | 51
28. Tank! Tank! Tank! | Namco Bandai |45
29. ESPN Sports Connection | Ubisoft | 30
Aww, but Tank! Tank! Tank! made that one little kid cry out of happiness on Christmas!
177. Deep Black: Reloaded | Just A Game | 39
178. Realms of Ancient War | Focus Home Interactive | 39
179. Legends of Pegasus | Kalypso | 35
180. Hoodwink | E-One Studio | 29
181. Fray | Brain Candy | 27
The PC list, perhaps unsurprisingly, is much unlike the worst-of list of consoles/handhelds. Not as many (readily apparent) shovelware.
51. One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP 2 | Namco Bandai | 49
52. One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP | Namco Bandai | 46
53. Johnny Kung Fu | UFO Interactive | 44
54. Block Factory | Enjoy Gaming | 42
55. RollerCoaster Tycoon 3D | Atari | 39
You do not want to play One Piece, folks.
61. Spy Hunter | Warner Bros. Interactive | 50
62. Dungeon Hunter: Alliance | Ubisoft | 49
63. Asphalt: Injection | Ubisoft | 49
64. Ridge Racer | Namco Bandai | 44
65. Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified | Activision | 33
I had no idea game named “Asphalt: Injection” existed, but I am not surprised it’s (apparently) not good. Also, ouch, Black Ops. And that crud probably sold better than the fantastic Persona 4: Golden? Sigh.
You can check out their best-of list here.
And if you played any of these awful titles? I’m so, so sorry. Though I’m curious if some of you disagree with this list — might some of you, perhaps, have loved one of the games listed here?
The Best video games of 2012 [Metacritic]